View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Is college worth it? - October 23rd 2014, 10:48 PM

You need to realize this my experience and mine only.

(1) Do you consider the education you received to be worth the money you spent?

- Yes! I learned so much and loved the research I did. It was also really about becoming a better person. I grew up a lot and would never be where I am of it weren't for college. I think that it is incredibly obnoxious and stupid when people dismiss college or university as unimportant, to the point where I will lose respect for you because of the fact that I highly value education - it is one thing if you cannot afford the education or if you don't know what to do or what ever else, but to me it is ignorant to dismiss it, like how dare some act like being being educated isn't worth their time or money or efforts... I don't mean to sound harsh, but to me this is the simple reality of it. Being more educated means you can have more intellectual/intelligent conversations and all that. There are places in the world (including in North America) where it is extremely difficult for people to go to school and I feel like we should be honoured and extremely grateful to be able to go if we can go. Have I always liked being in school? No. I have sometimes outright hated it. Do I think it is exciting to still be in school at 23 years old? No, its' frustrating because I would rather be working, making money, and being able to do things. But I would never assume that it wasn't worth my time, money or effort because it is. It is worth it for my own personal growth AND for the sake of my career!!

(2) Are you working in the field you initially wanted to work in?

- No. But that's a good thing. I wanted to be a cop and I wouldn't have liked that. I now want to work in communications which I'll like more. I guess I could always go back and become a police officer, but I would much rather be in a communications role no matter what. I like to be able to get to the root of things, communicate about what is going on and deal with people and this is a nice middle ground with things like policing, social work etc.

(3) About how much debt had you accumulated by the end of your studies?

- None. My family has money. Because I come from a pretty privileged background, I never had to worry about how I was going to be paying for my education. Plus, my country isn't as expensive to go to university as other countries like the USA

(4) Did you receive any significant scholarships after entering college?

- No. Again, my family had the money to support me and I felt like it was wrong to take money for things like scholarships when it meant that someone else who didn't have family who could support them would be denied money and might suffer. I didn't want someone to lose out and be unable to go to university or college or be unable to take care of themselves or have extra burdens etc. because I got the money they needed more than they did. I was also never offered scholarships because I was "such an awesome student", I always did good in school, but my grades weren't blowing anyone away, and I never won anything through sports or jobs, so I never got anything.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; October 24th 2014 at 02:25 PM.