View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Getting into an ENGLISH college when you basically can't speak the language - December 2nd 2014, 01:45 AM

I have a lot of foreign students in my class - like out of 60 people, I think about 15 or 20 of us are foreign students - it's actually a really diverse bunch in general, but I mean there is a huge chunk that are not even from Canada.

One of the girls can't even seem to comprehend basic English skills... I have seen her fail assignments left right and centre because she cannot understand the simple instructions. We might be under a lot of pressure because the program is busy and demanding, but the directions are always really simple and clear. Having to work with her is brutal too because she so obviously doesn't know what to do. Like let's say we have a presentation and I give her the general points on a pretty obvious topic, she is completely incapable of managing a few simple points in her own words, she'll read verbatim off of the slides even if it is painfully obvious more needs to be said I think her English is so poor she is incapable of recognizing the missing thought process so I have to write EXACTLY WORD FOR FUCKING WORD what I want her to say because she can't comprehend how to talk about it on her own

It's absolutely ridiculous!!

I don't even know how she got into the program - it is a graduate level program that requires a high level of English proficiency, yet her proficiency is basic at best.

no one in their right mind would work with her.

But I wonder if she cheated on her English language test to get in or something because I have a hard time believing the language standards for the college are so low. Is it true that this is a thing that people do?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions