View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Girlfriend's homophobic, abusive parents found out about us - February 25th 2015, 06:25 PM

My first concern, and yours as well, should be your safety. I've learned the hard way that you cannot help another person while you are struggling yourself. So, absolute first thing on the list is for you to get to a safe place emotionally. I am really worried that you mentioned suicidal thoughts. If these get so bad that you cannot fight them. PLEASE CALL A HOTLINE!. You will not be doing your girlfriend any good if you are struggling yourself. You need to be safe. Even if you have to be hospitalized for a few days, that is preferable to the alternative.

Second, is to contact your school counselor about your girlfriend's family. Schools are a safe place and are required by law to look into any instances of abuse reported to them. And what your girlfriend is going through is tantamount to abuse. So let an adult know. They might be able to intervene and get your girlfriend out of that situation and into someplace safer.

I know you said that you need to be strong for her, but you cannot be strong if you are suffering. when you ride an airplane, and they give the safety speech about the oxygen mask, one of the things they tell you is to put your own mask on first BEFORE you help those around you. The same idea applies here. You should help your girlfriend if you are not able to keep yourself in a safe place. So, when you talk to the school counselor, please be honest and let them know that you are struggling as well.

I hope this makes sense and I really really hope this works out for you.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!