(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: I need help with self harm - February 28th 2015, 10:38 PM

Hi there.

Its really great that you're wanting to stop self harming. It really is. Such an inspiration as well. Be proud of yourself for getting to this point. I think that maybe self harm is something we stop gradually, or that's how its been for me. I don't think you can just decide to stop one day and then completely stop forever. So be aware that you might have your blips along the way and be prepared that you're going to have to fight though them and not let them drag you down with them, okay?

Expressing yourself and the way you're thinking and how you're feeling is really important. This could be a lot of things like talking to someone you trust (a teacher, a priest, parents, siblings, other family members, friends, GP, etc) all people who care about you and have your best interests at heart. Or you could try things like writing in a journal/diary, painting, writing poetry, writing music, singing, running etc. Whatever works for you.

Have you got any support in place like counselling because that might really help you. Just having someone to talk to can be beneficial and I think you'd benefit from it. Definitely take a look at the links on the self harm page and see if any of those things would help you - I think they might.

Some things I do when I feel like self harming is self soothing so having a shower but really smelling and feeling the shampoo and body wash and the water on my skin and then taking time to put on cream afterwards. I also use cognitive disfusion which is for example, where you like put your thoughts on leaves on a river and watch them float away. Also acting opposite is important. If you feel like hiding in bed away from the world and self harming, act opposite and get up and don't self harm. Do nice things instead.

Im here if you ever want a chat. You can get through this so hold on to hope and believe in yourself.

Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018