(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 18th 2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you feel like the other sex but you dont have their genitals, your transgender, but if you get your genitals surgically changed, your a transexual. Or maybe I'm just spouting bullshit.
Not necessarily. Nowadays most people who consider themselves transsexual (myself included) just think of it as the medical aspect of transitioning being the most important, or the most emphasized. People who are transitioning towards a sexless (no sexual features) or androgynous (features of both sexes) state sometimes also identify as transsexual, albeit much less commonly.

My argument is that if an individual, regardless of how they feel, is for a large majority of the time comfortable presenting as their assigned sex, such that accessing segregated spaces for example isn't usually a problem because of an overly androgynous appearance, and is generally also okay with being addressed as the pronouns typically attributed to their assigned sex, these individuals do not have the same experiences as those who transition socially, medically, and legally. I'm aware that a lot of different people call themselves "transgender" nowadays, and the term itself has gotten to a point where just by hearing it I still know next to nothing about a person's experience of everyday life, what their challenges are, what their goals and needs are, etc. But that's fine. Use whatever you're comfortable with. I'm at a point where I don't feel comfortable using "transgender" anymore because I feel like it could mean too many different things.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.