View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Thinking about law school - March 31st 2015, 06:05 AM

I have considered the idea of going to law school. People with the disorder that I have supposedly make really good lawyers, but I had briefly considered it before I knew I had the disorder.

The problem is that I'd have to pass the LSAT and said disorder means that my score won't reflect my potential. I also have to disclose and explain the counseling program/university dismissal. They told me it was nothing that I did wrong, but nobody gets non-academically dismissed from a program/university for doing NOTHING wrong. I'm afraid it could disqualify me either because it happened, or because they will think I lied about it not being my fault or think I'm "not taking responsibility" like I've been accused of so many times before.

Also, I can go back to the university in a year and I'll probably end up with the degree that the counseling faculty thought would be a good fit, but I may need permission before applying again. The letter from the dean didn't say that (and I would think that it would've definitely been in there). I was told I could get recommendations from the counseling program faculty no problem, but I'm still afraid to bother asking for them (I can apply in the fall to start in January).

This degree feels very much like a consolation degree. Like "Sorry you can't have the one you've wanted forever and came so close to having, and sorry we couldn't give you a good reason for that, but after we throw you out for a year, you can get this degree instead if we decide to take you back. I don't know what you can do with it, but it's better than nothing right?"

I suppose, but I just don't know. It's not that I don't want to go back there, it's more that it's going to be hard to be back on that campus and in that building after everything I've been through and knowing that if I got back in, it would probably only be because someone felt sorry for me.

This is mostly me venting, you can reply if you want.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte