View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 12th 2015, 05:18 PM

Let us know how it went!

Most parents don't have the best of reactions, often because they're from a different generation and it's a lot to take in. Bear in mind that your dad probably needs some time to think through everything.

My parents didn't react very well, and part of that was because they found out through the school before they heard it from me. A few years ago, a counselor thought I was hurting myself but my body was healed and I denied it. A few years afterwards, they found out again and I had to go to the nurse to get it looked at. My parents were not happy with me. Shortly after, I had to go back again, and this time, they just didn't say anything to me at all. My parents were unaware of the causes for my self-harm, and they didn't find out until a year or two later. I was put in therapy but I didn't find a therapist that I click with until recently. Now that they know the reasons behind my self-harm and my other struggles, they're supportive about things. I generally give them the least amount of information that I can. I'll say I had a rough night or a nightmare, but I don't ever go into detail. If I'm not hiding my emotions in front of them, they generally know that something is wrong regardless of whether or not I tell them.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers