View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeathToNemo Offline
Jellyfish
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maus

Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10

Re: I'm trans and losing hope quickly. - April 15th 2015, 05:13 AM

I can understand where you are coming from. I know it seems extremely stressful, but I don't suggest you decide to stay as your assigned sex. For many people, it's really difficult to go through puberty and continue through their life without transitioning, and I don't know what I would do if I lived the rest of my life without at least trying.

I suppose, in regards to family, it is often a lot harder to accept a family member as trans than as something else. I know, personally, my parents thought I was a lesbian, as I often gravitated towards more masculine clothing and expression. They were alright with that, because in their minds, I was still the same person. However, when they found out I was trans, rather than acceptance, there was more of a subtle denial. For parents, it's harder to accept the fact that your child isn't how they 'once were', not realizing that underneath, it has always been this way.

In regards to coming out, there was no.. particular moment for me. I actually had a breakdown before going to school, and I was sent to the hospital where I was kind of forced to tell a doctor about my dysphoria, who in turn told my parents. In a sense, I was grateful for not having to come out, and that I had a medical professional explain to my parents. Whether or not they accepted that was a different story.

If you decide to come out the 'Traditional way' ( though no one way is really the same each time) there are a few things that often happen. One will be anger or confusion. Another, which is often the biggest reaction, is denial. Parents often say things like 'This is just a phase' or 'You never acted this way until now, you are just confused' or my favorite 'Are you sure you aren't gay?'. Sure they are hurtful, but you have to understand that some people take a while to accept changes, even if they aren't that big. When coming out, try educating your parents on what being trans is, or asking them to visit a doctor with you, who can explain everything.

I know that most transgendered people I know want the 'fantasy reaction' where their parents say 'It's alright, I think I always knew, deep down' but very rarely does this happen.

Just hope that eventually they will learn to accept you, though personally, I think that you shouldn't need their permission or validation to feel like you can continue transitioning. The best way to approach it, though I don't mean this for every situation, is to just say, 'This is how I feel, I hope you can respect me for this, because there is no way in hell you can change it.'

I hope this helped, and if you have come out before reading this, then I hope it went well.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.