View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Anxiety + jobs - current issue / need to quit - May 14th 2015, 03:33 PM

Trust me, I know all of that. I get having to do lame grunt work to prove yourself. How she treated me went way beyond that. When your classmates all get more out of their experiences, it's hard not to be frustrated... But it was largely that it was her personality and attitude toward everything that was the problem, not the work, because she made me feel like shit all the time and totally tore me down.

If I didn't have the good sense to realize that any experience is better than no experience, I would have quit. I just realized at some point that my ability not to lose my mind and constantly have break downs because of how insulting and demeaning she was toward me basically meant that I had a great learning experience because I learned how to deal with conflict and how not to get pissed off over being asked to repeat 1 basic fact 3 or more times.

For example, she made me repeat the same research 7 times because she wanted certain answers and I wasn't giving her want she wanted because it didn't exist and I tried explaining to her that the organizations stuff is such a niche area that not a lot of specific data would exist, and it took her 2 months to accept that she was going to have to accept more generalized data... And once I had done it 7 times, all of which had about 10 pages of data (so 70 total), the summarized info only added 1 page to the original 10 pages for a total of 11 pages, so I wrote 59 pages of stuff that was totally useless and/or repeats of the stuff I did the first time just because she wouldn't listen to me. Basically, she was to stubborn to hear that I already had all of the data she wanted and made me feel like shit for a very long time over it.

I get it, people suck, and I have now learned how to cope with a very demeaning and frustrating situation and came out the other side. I want to like her, but she's a horrible boss, and that's why I need to quit.

I hate that my biggest learning experience there was how to deal with a horrible degrading boss. I hate that I now have to find a way to remember my worth and my ability.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions