View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

How to answer why I want to work as a barista despite my obvious training for another field - June 1st 2015, 12:38 AM

Ok, I am trained to be in marketing. Yippee, but I am struggling to get my foot in the door and I will be applying to be a barista, amongst other similar jobs - waitressing, selling shoes or books, that sort of thing.

I am dreading the interview. My resume will clearly show 2 post secondary degrees and about a 2 years of part time xperience in my field along with some social work stuff. I clearly do not aspire to be a waitress (barista etc) and I am afraid no one will hire me because they want someone who will stick around vs someone who will quit the second something better comes long. I know that is exactly what I plan to do, but I also really need money and I would be happy to sell shoes or coffee or books because that's all stuff I like and I know it'll be fun and good experience for me AND I have a lot to offer. Plus people do this all the time, I just don't know any of these people well enough to find out what they said in an interview

So, my question is how to tell someone why I want to work at [insert organization] without sounding disingenuous? How can I make it clear that, yes, I obviously intend to work in marketing, but I'll be a great employee and will not quit for no reason. I haven't been able to find a Google - able thing for this.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions