Thread: Mental Harm
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Mental Harm - June 1st 2015, 10:33 PM

Hey there, Crystal.

Congratulations on being 20 days self-harm free! That's a pretty big accomplishment and it's something you should be proud of. How about taking that accomplishment for example, and treating yourself to something nice? This could be a good way to reward yourself for your progress along with helping you learn to treat yourself in the nice way that you deserve.

Self-harm can become a unhealthy way of expressing yourself and letting your bottled up feelings out. Perhaps you've started to take it out on yourself in emotional ways since you don't do so in physical ways anymore? I suggest finding healthy outlets that are therapeutic for you. Such as writing for example. You could write down feelings and thoughts you're having in a journal, and if you're writing about something you did that you're upset about, try to think on it and come to terms with yourself as you're writing. Think outside of the box and try to understand why you did or thought whatever it is that you're upset with yourself about as if you're reading the writing of someone else. If someone else you cared for did the same actions, would you curse at them or put them down? I highly doubt that as you seem like a really kind person so try to take small steps in treating yourself like you would a friend. Focus on recognizing all the good things you do and all your accomplishments, no matter how big or small. Building up self-esteem can be a difficult task but it's possible and you deserve to be happy with yourself.

On the note of treating yourself well, how about a reward system? For example, treat yourself to a CD or song you've wanted for awhile if you reach a self-harm free goal. If you're feeling low, try relaxing with a favorite movie and a snack. Going for a walk can be a good way to clear your head as well.

Has anything in particular happened recently to upset you that you haven't fully dealt with yet? As you said, sometimes things can build up. Do you have anyone you can talk to about your struggles lately? Sometimes it can help to have comfort and reassurance from those close to you.

Hope this helped, Crystal. Remember that no one is perfect and that's perfectly okay. We all do things we wish we hadn't, we all make mistakes and get upset with ourselves at some point. It's important to remember that you're still a great person capable of achieving anything. Breathe and remind yourself of all the good you do.

You can message me if you'd like someone to talk to. I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by DeletedAccount11; June 2nd 2015 at 12:24 AM.