View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: He'll go to college, I'll be a HS Senior. - June 5th 2015, 09:00 PM

I have a lot of anxiety as well. I think that can play a huge role in how you handle this. But, I would like to think that the both of you can get through this together.

My boyfriend and I only see each other on the weekends and if I have to go a weekend without seeing him I get really anxious. I start thinking really negative things like he'll leave when rationally I know that isn't on his mind. He's more dedicated to me then anyone I have met. He wants this relationship to work.

I think being away from someone you are close to is going to be tough. This person has become a big part of your life and, soon enough, that is going to change. However, maybe this will be a positive for you. Sometimes when you have anxiety the best thing you can do is expose yourself to the thing you are afraid of and come to the realization that it isn't the worst thing ever.

My boyfriend and I have gone two separate weekends without seeing each other. It was difficult the first weekend but I understood that he had plans to do something with a friend. The second weekend we didn't see each other was just last week and I was super anxious about it but I knew I had nothing to worry about and we got through it. The more I am exposed to the things I worry about the more I realize it is not as big of a deal as my anxiety is making it out to be. So, it is possible that this separation will help you and like every relationship time apart can be beneficial.

Have you two talked about what you will do if he goes to this college? How will it impact your relationship? How are you two going to go about scheduling time for one another? How often will you communicate? I think talking about these things and having a 'plan' for when it happens can be a good idea.

I know that my boyfriend didn't always have the schedule he has now and before he went to this schedule we talked a lot about how it would impact our relationship and what we would do to try and make it easier. The relationship was new at that point so I was concerned he would leave. He assured me he wouldn't and then we talked about the fact that we would text and have the weekends together. This helped immensely with the anxiety I was feeling and when it happened I was prepared for it. Not seeing him for a weekend still gets me thrown off but I am trying to get used to that and he doesn't make a habit out of it.

I honestly couldn't think of anything else to suggest. We have different anxieties but anxiety can be similar in the way it presents itself. If I don't hear from my boyfriend I start to think negative things and worry like you do. So, hopefully this helped a bit and hopefully you will be able to work through this.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.