(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: He'll go to college, I'll be a HS Senior. - June 8th 2015, 09:24 PM

So my partner and I began dating in high school, and through that, we've gone to colleges thousands of miles apart, I studied abroad for a few months and we were across the world, he's traveled the country on tour, and now he is joining the Marines while I'm moving across the country for graduate school. I guess it's safe to say that I've done long distance in many different ways, and yes, it can work. But I have a few concerns. I think you need to evaluate the healthiness of your attachment. This is not to say that I believe that you and your boyfriend are an unhealthy relationship or need to break up (you seem happy and very healthy!), but you need other friends, and you need to make sure your anxiety is taken care of in other ways besides him. I hate to say it, but he may not always be there in your life. You two could break up. He may study abroad for a year. Things happen, and you need to be okay with being alone and having other ways to cope. Have you thought about getting help with your anxiety? Maybe socializing more and making more friends? In general, you need coping mechanisms with your anxiety and realize that when he's away, you can't be worrying where he is at every waking moment. You also cannot be living your life on Skype. You need to live your own lives and share them with each other when you can until you are able to live together. I look forward to hearing about my partner's adventures and he enjoys hearing about mine-we complement each other, and push each other to explore the world and be our best selves. You need to invest to make sure you're your best self.

Sorry, this was a bit rambly. If you want any clarification, let me know!

something burning?