View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Re: My parents dont understand - June 9th 2015, 03:36 PM

Hey there. I'm really sorry about all of the recent events that have you overwhelmed. I'm also sorry about your friend passing. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to.

As for your parents, as sad as this is, most parents DONT understand mental illness. You could try expressing to them in a calm way what's going on in your life that is causing you so much grief. Explain to them that you are unsure on how to handle it, and that it's getting you very down. (If you say the word down, rather than depressed, they may be more inclined to listen seeing as they believe you don't have depression.) You could speak to them about seeking advice from a therapist.

As sad as it is to say, most parents don't understand mental illness today, and some parents still have that stigma over mental illness, rather than being accepting and helpful to their child who has a mental illness. Just take things slow, and one day at a time. I know this is hard, but you can do this. I know you can.

Again, I'm always here if you need someone. I wish you all the luck. Take care~

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.