View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

How to study for a quotation based exam in Literature (college)? - June 9th 2015, 06:47 PM

Hey everyone,

I am an Aerospace Engineering major, and taking one of my core requirements for my degree over this Summer (I didn't need it previously until moving to Texas -- we only need 2 composition courses which I took several years ago). Our midterm and final are based over the stories and novellas we read, however, the entire midterm and final is quotation based. She gives a quote, usually a few sentences, and you have to attribute it to the author.

I asked the professor and she said to keep up on your journals and do the readings. However, my study habits for engineering are vastly different. It's mostly learned through repetition and conceptual understandings. I'm not good when it comes to detailed based quotations and attributing it to someone.

What I've been doing is keeping up on my journals, then I have a separate paper where I write down the main characters and the plot of the story to recollect what the story was about. But, I have no idea how this is going to help me with quotations unless they are that obvious.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've considered re-reading the stories, but I feel that's a waste of time, as I understand the general plot, and feel like I should spend the spare time I have enjoying Summer since it's the last one before I start interning.

The primary problem I have is I need to maintain my GPA. It's currently a 3.9, but after Junior classes most Engineers GPA averages between a 2.5 and 3.0, so I'm trying not to lower my GPA at all with courses like this. Most jobs in Aerospace also require a 3.0-3.5 GPA, which in any engineering discipline is difficult.

Anyone have suggestions on how to prepare for these? Sorry to go off on a tangent.