View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: I'm scared of going back to school cuz I know I'll do poorly - July 24th 2015, 07:07 PM

Hey there,

Honestly, I can tell by the way you write and your previous track record that you're a bright person. To be honest, have you considered taking less honors courses? If you struggling with motivation, it might help you to ease up a little bit on your course load so you can focus on just a couple of classes intensely. The other thing I'd suggest is start adapting a schedule. That is, literally make an hour-by-hour schedule of what you're going to do. The key to this is make sure you have a designated time you will be DONE studying, and a designated time for free time. The other important thing when focusing on studies is to not make a goal based on amount of work. That is, if you have 20 problems of Calculus, don't say to yourself, "I am going to do 10 problems before I take a break." Rather, set aside TIME that you will work on Calculus. Roughly 30-45 minutes and then take a 15 minute break. Typically what I do is study 45min-1hr and then I'll watch 1 20minute show on Netflix, then go back to study. I try to finish studying by 8pm each night so that my evenings are set aside for my girlfriend. The very last thing I do is anything I struggled with during the day, I will quickly review it before I go to bed -- as in the last thing I do. Then, when I wake up, it's the first thing I look at before getting out of bed. This has been proven to help you retain the information.

Now, as far as math, if you're really struggling in Calculus, maybe look back into Pre-Cal. Unfortunately, and I say this in sincerity, your grades in algebra 2 are really irrelevant unless you understood the concepts. Pre-Calculus, for most, is hard than Calculus. It's the first exposure to REAL math because it is no longer algorithmic. It requires critical thinking, and understanding of concepts -- that is, WHY you do what you do. Not just remembering that the lim of 1/x is 0. But UNDERSTANDING. I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering. So I need a shit ton of math, but pre-calc was one of the hardest courses because you really needed to get your concepts down. If you do well in pre-calc, you'll do well in calculus because calculus is easy. It's the fancy algemebruh that screws everyone up.

Before you say you don't want to do that, I'd really recommend it. Why? Because when you get into college, you're going to have to retake calculus, anyways because HS Calc doesn't even begin to touch on the topics of college calculus. So it's better to get your fundamentals down in pre-calc/algebra 2/trig. Even if you don't think you need to retake it, I would. You won't find it uncommon that most people desiring to go a more science and math route have repeated their math courses more than once. Don't stress about it. Plenty of bright minds and scientists struggled in algebra -- the fact you got an 'A' puts you ahead of them. Just really focus on getting the concepts down before college.

Chemistry, well, it sounds like you know how to handle this. If you end up in a similar situation, ask your teacher if you can record the lecture. This way if you miss any of the important information you can review the lecture on your own time. Otherwise, if you missed it, use KhanAcademy. I'm sure you're familiar with it.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan