(#4 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Torn Between Staying & Leaving College - July 24th 2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfsteven View Post
I completed 2 semesters of college, but only because my parents wanted me to and I felt like I had no other choice. I was happy for the first semester but the second did not go well. I like learning and I can perform well academically. But the problem is I have no idea what I want to do, what degree to choose, or whether a degree would be beneficial for me in the long run.

Basically, I don't believe higher education is for everybody in terms of furthering their careers. And frankly, I find it to be a scam unless you're in the medical field, education, etc. The main issue is funding. I don't want loans unless I know it's something I need and something that will help me.

But I've spoken to my grandma, who I live with, about it and she shuts me down and says that I won't be successful if I don't go and starts comparing me to other people in my family who didn't go to college. I know I'm different. And I know that success comes to people who pursue it, not just people who have a degree. But I feel so alone in this and I feel like if I leave college I'm going to be resented in the place I live and will be given a hard time if I don't have a "good" job within a short amount of time.

This whole conundrum has been a nightmare and has contributed to my depression. I feel like my emotional state is weak and everyday I feel trapped. I feel like either way I'm going to end up failing and being unhappy. I can't seem to ever make decisions... I also feel like I'm being manipulated and they don't even know they're doing it. No matter what I say, leaving college is wrong in everyone's mind.
1) School is a scam.
2) But it opens up doors, and a undergraduate in anything is almost a requirement for any job now, including retail.
3) You're right. The best return investment for college is medical schools, engineering, academics, and science majors.
4) But it doesn't mean you can get by in life without a degree.
5) Maybe continue college to knock out your core credits. You still have another year to decide depending on the amount of previous credits.
6) See a counselor and adviser at your school. They often have tests to see where you'd best fit.
7) Address your depression.
8) Profit.

What are your strengths, what classes do you enjoy mostly? If you didn't go to college, what would you do?

I was in a similar situation as you are when I was 19. I regret not going to school. However, at the same time, it was good I didn't because I discovered what I wanted to be within that time. If your family seems pushy, try telling them you want to get a job and just figure out what you want to do. And maybe consider taking 1 or 2 classes per semester just to keep everyone happy.

The reality is, though, having a degree is the new form of graduating HS. It only opens doors, and unfortunately causes debt. But I think my main question is, if you don't go to school, what would you choose to do that you could support yourself with? Because really, your options are severely limited.

Look at the statistics:
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

You're twice as likely to get a job, and make twice as much money with a bachelors than with just having a HS diploma. Based on the chart, a bachelors is the best investment as far as degrees go. Why wouldn't you get one?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan