View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Points: 21,912, Level: 21 Points: 21,912, Level: 21 Points: 21,912, Level: 21

Re: parents found out.... - August 9th 2015, 07:20 AM

You may not have wanted to do this to your family yet now that they know, don't regret what has happened. Take it forward. Your family is upset because they love you just as much as you love them and it's that love which creates worry, anxiety and sometimes lack of clarity on what to do or how to understand the situation. Like you mentioned, they are probably blaming themselves in part that you're hurting yourself. That is a normal reaction. And you are lucky that your family loves you and cares. This creates an opportunity for you to get better, long-term.

I would definitely suggest having a sit down with your family and explaining to them how you've been, what you've been doing (self-harm) and the part it plays in your life. They may not understand that it's hard to explain exactly why you started and are continuing. Let them know that a single specific trigger may not be there. Talk it out with them. Suggest that you might need professional help in dealing with it and more importantly that there is no one at fault, and nothing comes of pointing fingers. From this moment, you and they can be part of the solution - trying to help you with it.
With things like self-harm, depression and anxiety, parents and family don't understand it in the way you would like them to unless they have been through it themselves. So instead of trying to get them to see it your way try to show it in a way they can relate to. Denial, anger and disbelief are very common under the circumstances. Don't beat yourself up. You're being incredibly brave throughout this and I know it must be a terrible burden to carry. That is exactly what family is there for. It's okay to share the burden. It is okay to get through this together - more than okay. You have all the support you require. You just need to start figuring out what you'd like to do with it.

You don't need to forget about anything. Bottling things up, never addressing issues only creates so many more to deal with. Talk to your parents about seeing a professional. As hard as it may seem, if you allow it things will get better. You're such a brave and beautiful soul and capable of ever so much. If you ever need to talk, message me anytime. I hope this has helped. x

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Last edited by Spirit.; August 9th 2015 at 04:08 PM.