View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Seohyun Offline
egg
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Danny

Points: 4,865, Level: 10 Points: 4,865, Level: 10 Points: 4,865, Level: 10

Smile I'm 16 and my parents won't let me hang out with friends on my own? - September 4th 2015, 04:48 AM

I'm a gamer, so it's quite rare for me to want to hang out with friends, but when I do want to, such as go to the park with a friend(s) or an event such as an anime convention (which i find even more ridiculous as you have to pay to get in, with a huge group of friends, it's held inside, with security around, and they still think i'm bound to be kidnapped), my parents will not allow me to go by myself. I'm female and they tell me that because "i'm attractive" I will get kidnapped and raped if I go without a family member. I am also the youngest in my family. My brother and father get extremely mad when I tell them that they're being ridiculous for trying to keep me so overprotected. I can't enjoy any event with a parent or my older brother constantly at my side. It's so embarrassing going somewhere with a group of friends (who are the same age as me) and me being the only one having a parent/brother with me. Not only does it make me uncomfortable, but it makes the people I hang out with uncomfortable as if my dad goes with me, he tends to judge them behind their backs. My dad is so overprotective he once told me "if i could keep you in a cage to keep you safe from these sick people in the world, i would" which is WAY too overprotective in my opinion. I don't know how to convince them to let me hang out with my friends without constant supervision. To them, they see me as some "weak female/kidnap material." My dad didn't have the best childhood and due to his paranoia he thinks keeping me extremely overprotected will stop me from being in harms way. No one has ever been kidnapped in our family either, he and my mother just love watching shows that feature those kind of things so he can become more paranoid and treat me like I'm 5 and follow me everywhere I go. They make events that I was getting excited for become "I don't even want to go anymore" with this overprotective crap. Whenever I try talking to my dad about it he goes about saying "I get it, you hate me, when you're 18 you don't have to live here anymore" even though all I asked was for some freedom to hang out with friend in peace. They also give me other excuses such as "I don't know/never met your friend(s)" even though they have met them and know them. I don't know what to do. I need help here.

other info~ my mom works swing shift, so during school it's pretty much just me and my brother and father
~i don't sneak out, do drugs, drink, smoke, none of that and nor do my parents do that