Thread: Triggering (SH): Sleep harm?
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Sleep harm? - October 8th 2015, 06:45 AM

Hey,

I think it's good that you've been able to get some rest instead of self-harming. Anything positive that keeps you from self-harming is a good thing.

It is definitely possible to self-harm in your sleep. I don't know too much about it but I have done it a few times. The pattern in my own experience was that I was trying not to self-harm during the times I was awake, and then would do it in my sleep. From what I understand, self-harming while asleep is unusual but is not unheard of. There have been cases when people have self-harmed in their sleep (but never struggled with self-harm before) and those cases are the most unusual. However, you already struggle with self-harm so it makes sense for you to be doing it in your sleep.

Are you waking up in your bed, or somewhere else? Do any sharp objects in your house look like they've been moved? Pay close attention to these things. You might want to consider putting anything you'd use as a tool away somewhere.

Are you seeing a counselor or a therapist? This is definitely something worth mentioning to someone you trust.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers