View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Pregnant? Please help! - October 30th 2015, 09:04 PM

Don't worry, no one will lecture you for having sex here. You used condoms, and even if you hadn't, all we'd do is recommend that you use condoms or another type of birth control in the future. Many of us also had sex while teenagers, and we understand the benefits and risks.

In terms of your risk of pregnancy right now, the hormones don't typically change enough to reflect any signs of pregnancy until at least 2 weeks after conception, and you don't usually show any more direct symptoms until 4 weeks after conception like Nicole said; I've even heard of people still getting their "period" when they first got pregnant, which is technically called implant bleeding last I checked, although it'll typically be a pretty light "period", more like spotting, so it can be missed or not missed depending on if you think it's normal for your body or not.

Any how, my point here is that once it's been 2 weeks (14 days), you can get a pregnancy test just to rule that out as the cause for the lateness. Over the counter tests can be purchased at drug stores or the drug isle of your grocery store, I had to buy one before when I was 16. No one will judge you, people buy them all the time and the cashier sees them a lot and since your 17 you could rightfully be older than he/she thinks and therefore, no biggie.

If it is positive, you should go to your doctor to have it confirmed and you will be able to explore your options.

If it is negative or you get your period, I would like to suggest another kind of birth control; the pill, Nuva Ring, or IUD are just a few examples. The IUD is the easiest; Skyla/Jaydess is good for young women, its very effective (98%) and less prone to human error because the doctor pops it in and it stays there for a few years. The IUD is also easy - you just have to remember to take it out, 1 week, put it in, 3 weeks, repeat. It's a lot more comforting than the condom alone because it's less prone to accidents, based on what I can tell from numerous friends with children. Trust me, no judgement, I know how you feel, and I know exactly how comforting using the pill or nuva ring can be after a scare. Another benefit of the pill (or otherwise) is that it will help to regulate your period so that there wont be so much guess work in when your period will arrive and you'll know what it works out to.

Another thing I'd like to recommend is this app called Period Tracker; it shows up as "P Tracker" on your phone, you just click "period started" or "period ended" when it starts or ends. You can also track when you've been "intimate" (AKA had sex) so that if you are late, you know how long it's been since you did the deed and if it's time for a test.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions