View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Trouble with Parents and Religion? Coming out. - November 3rd 2015, 05:54 PM

Hi Caroline.

First of all, welcome to the forums. Second, I'm not really sure what advice you're looking for, as you didn't really seem to ask for help about anything. Rather, it seems to me that maybe you're venting to work things out for yourself. Regardless, let me comment on what you've said.

I am straight. However, there were periods in my life, particularly when I was younger and in my early teens where I exhibited bisexual behaviors, and had bisexual fantasies. I haven't had any in a really long time, so I am certain of my sexuality presently. However, I say this because I can empathize coming from a religious family.

The thing you have to realize is that generations that are older than you sometimes hold different opinions about various topics. This doesn't mean that their opinions, or seemingly intolerance, is right, just that it is different from your own. In other words, you need to learn to accept that just because your parents may not be accepting of something that might define you doesn't mean that they don't love you, and that you can't love them. But rather, that you might just have to deal with it. Which, sucks.

However, this is just the time that we live in. Eventually this mentality will cease to exist, but likely not in our lifetime. I support equal rights for everyone. My family, however, does not. I am also an agnostic. My family is religious. Sometimes they try to force their religion on me, and while I dislike it, I understand that those are their opinions.

Sometimes even though opinions are harmful, it's helpful to put yourselves in their shoes. If you were raised in their generation and indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is wrong, you'd likely be exactly like they are. And while they disprove, perhaps their disapproval is more of a concern. That is, if they believe homosexuals are going to hell, it's in fact loving of them to express that concern. If you believed someone was going to Hell, wouldn't you want to do the best you could do reprove them?

Granted, I realize this is hard to put up with, believe me I do. But, I think walking a mile in someone's shoes puts things in perspective. As far as your church goes, it seems to be a minority in America. Most denominations and such are approving of homosexual rights. Your situation is not permanent and will change. The best advice I can give is sometimes living in the closet is the best decision for the present. And while I've never had to "come out" of the closet so-to-speak, I have had to come out of the closet as an atheist in the past (while my stance has changed on that), so I do understand it to a lesser degree.

Just realize your situation is not permanent, and do your best to love God the way you can, and don't worry about whatever humans have to say. I believe it's as Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt 10:28) In other words, love your God, and don't worry about what others have to say about you.

If you need anything, PM me.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan