(#9 (permalink)) Old
David Armes Offline
Average Joe

Name: David Armes

Points: 5,921, Level: 11 Points: 5,921, Level: 11 Points: 5,921, Level: 11

Re: Giving up self-harm. - November 16th 2015, 08:54 AM

Hi,

I think I may have done a few blogs that may be able to help:

"Coping techniques: There are many techniques that are available to use for you and finding the right one for you is vital. You can have more than one if you need it but it’s vital it is you that picks it as otherwise you will not get better.

I have a lot of suggestions that I think will help you but there are others out there:

• Plan a party – this can be very useful for those who have a lot of friends who help and want to take your mind off the mental illness. Be careful what you pick to do as going over the top could end badly put a little party can be a massive help to you.
• A memory box – this can be filled with whatever you want it to be. I have one which is filled with all my memories which is nice to have especially on a bad day. Though don’t put things in that could make you depressed th ough as that won’t help at all
• Stuff that you can grasp – old toys are a great for this. If you feel down just find something that you can cuddle. This is useful and sometimes can really change your moods to the better.
• Watching your favourite DVDs – This can take your mind off things for a while at least. In my view distractions are the best because of the time that they take. Make sure though that they are happy and positive DVDs as otherwise it could make you feel even more down.
• Sleeping can really change your mood because you can fell very refreshed and can make you feel more positive.
• Eat what you want as that is vital even if it is snacking. The energy is important to have
• Just chill out and relax – the number of times people have said that to me and somehow I find that it does help even if it is hard but of course that brings me onto the most important one that I have found
• Call a friend or relative – no one should be forced to feel left out and loneliness is one of the worst things that can happen to a person but calling someone helps as you have that contact .

You need to find the correct techniques for you but it is easy and you won’t realize it until you find it but it is easy and can make a real change."

"Suicidal Thoughts: Suicide is extremely dangerous. I have decided to do this piece because of my experiences. This is scary, I know. However, there are some things you can do to help.

Firstly, speak to friends. They will understand that you are going through a tough time and some may be willing to give you advice.

Secondly, see a counselor; you can find out more about treatment options here on the blog.

Thirdly, make a memory box or a box with things that help you or you like that you can get if you feel down. You should only put things in that mean a lot to you. Store it in a safe place that holds meaning for you and you only.

In an emergency call Childline as you should not be alone. There are other services that you could call though.

Remember that there are healthy coping methods available to you; the future can get better.

It may be scary but its not the end of the world!"

"Emergency situations: Emergencies are a nightmare for everyone around you. Most people you need to be prepared may not be able to cope with then and you during this time. This you should be prepared for as normal during this time.

The biggest emergency out of all is wanting to kill yourself. Whatever you do DON’T!!!!! I would be the very first person who has tried before to say no. There are hundreds or better techniques that you can use which are hundreds times better. Speak to anyone that takes you seriously while you feel that bad.

Also something that I would consider an emergency is cutting yourself. Trust me it hurts! TOPTIP for this would be to lock all sharp items away while you feel that bad. That is the safest options for you to do while you feel like that.

Writing abuse really doesn’t help, it will make you think of bad thoughts which is also a disaster! My one big piece of advice would be so stay away from the internet whilst you feel like that or only look at positive things until you feel strong, no one is going to say anything otherwise."

As I was the person that wrote these 3, you may use them on the condition that they are reworded a little different. I hope that some of this information is useful to you and feel free to look at my other blogs for inspiration.

David

David Armes

always happy to help

keep positive