View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: How to cope with anxiety - December 7th 2015, 11:34 PM

Hi, Ashley!

I'm sorry you struggle with anxiety, but well done for reaching out. I hope I can be of some help!

Figuring out your triggers can be helpful because it helps you know what to avoid, but sometimes there isn't a way to ignore the triggers and in that case, it's a good idea to find an instant coping mechanism. For example, how about wearing a simple bracelet that is elastic? It could even be a hair tie that fits as a bracelet. Just anything that you can put your focus on and twist the bracelet around. Focusing on something simple can help redirect your thoughts, then hopefully reduce the amount of anxiety you feel.

How about perfume? Perfume with a relaxing scent can help you feel more calm, and I was wondering if you could try different perfumes until you find one that calms you? That is something you could wear and take with you to spray on when you start feeling anxious. Just take deep breaths, focus on the smell and focus on your breaths. Count them, go to ten then come down from ten.

Are there any comforting thoughts that help you during anxiety? Some people have a "safe place" they go to whether it be a happy memory or a place of their imagination. Imagine yourself in a peaceful place, such as an open field for example. Make it personal to you by imagining yourself in a place you find beautiful and peaceful, whether it be a place you have been to, a place you want to go to, or a place in your imagination.

Long-term, exercise and yoga might help you feel all-around more calm and it may reduce your anxiety. Daily runs can blow of steam and allow yourself to get out any anxiousness you feel. And creative hobbies and writing such as journaling is a good way to write down any thoughts, feelings and fears so that they don't stay inside your head. It's healthy to get things out.

Lastly, have you spoken to anyone either professionally or personally? Therapy could be helpful to find causes of your anxiety to be able to ease it, and talking to those in your personal life could be good because you'd be able to open up and have support. Speaking of, holding a conversation about anything, even trivial things might help you calm down slightly. That doesn't work for everyone, though.

Hope you feel better soon and find remedies for your anxiety, Ashley. Take care!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.