(#20 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16

Re: Do you read the holy book of your religion? - April 22nd 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
I'm agnostic, but I have something to say on this topic. Recently I was watching a christian program on tv and the minister was saying that people SHOULDN'T read the bible. He said that regular people cannot possibly understand it properly, so they should just go to church and be told about the bible by someone who knows what they're talking about. THAT IS INSANE. Believe whatever you want, but for goodness sakes please educate yourself on what it is you claim to believe!
That IS insane! What, ordinary people shouldn't read the Bible because--Heaven forbid!--they might see all the places where it's unclear, or see where the contradictions are and come to different conclusions about which part are to be held literally and which are not?! Good G-d, how would the Church function?!

I haven't voted, because I've read chunks of both the Torah and the NT, but I'm currently working my way through the rest of them. Rabbis have divided the Torah into sections, with one for each Shabbat, so I'll have read the whole thing by the 2nd week of January next year.

I don't actually believe in the NT, but I hang out with a lot of Chrisitans and I got curious to see where their beliefs came from. I borrowed my copy from a friend. I was also startled to learn how few of my Christian friends had actually read the whole Bible. (The copy I borrowed from my friend has a ton of her handwritten notes in the margins. It seems she's read her copy a few times...)

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]