View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
It is 57 below zero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Malik

Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12 Points: 7,444, Level: 12

I really don't want to be forced to wait a whole year before college and be far behind my age-appropriate peers - December 21st 2015, 07:53 AM

This is really urgent, I need serious advice because time is seriously running out and it's a long term decision that can be negative. I don't want to be a year older than most of my classmates throughout college.

I graduated high school in 2015 and I should've been in college this past fall but my parents wouldn't enroll me in college soon enough, they were very late getting my transcripts and everything. I was supposed to be put in a college in October of 2015 (at first my parents even planned to put me in by October) but they haven't yet worked out a plan for transportation. I am supposed to be a part of the class of 2019 for college but I don't want to be put in a group of younger classmates.

I don't have a way to convince my parents to put me in real soon. I don't want them to force me to wait a whole year. I already missed an entire semester of instruction and it will be hard enough for me to catch up with my peers as it is. I'm supposed to be the class of 2019 and I don't want to become the class of 2020 or later. In the last few months at least 5 of my former classmates from high school have contacted me, I felt seriously humiliated when I had to tell them I wasn't in a college yet. I feel most comfortable staying on track with my age-appropriate peers. I don't like being the odd one out. Since I went to a challenging high school, I'd say around 95% of my class graduated, and at least 80% of them are in either a two-year or four-year college/university since this fall. I feel like I'm behind.

I also feel like I'm far behind my peers for a number of reasons. For one, after my freshman year in high school, most of the classes there were hard for me and I struggled and didn't understand the material very well (I went to a high school with mostly challenging classes) so my grades weren't as great as half my classmates. Secondly, I'm listed as a special education student. That's already bad enough as it is; adding those problems plus being a year or two older than most of my classmates due to late enrollment will make me look and feel like a stupid person. I don't want to look like someone who's been redshirted in kindergarten or someone that failed a grade.

How can I tell my parents that I want to maintain my intended graduation year of 2019? They keep telling me that there will be some classmates in their 30s and 40s but I went to a challenging school with a high graduation rate and focuses on college preparation, and since it has a higher graduation rate than most schools in my area I want to stay on track with my peers. My mother keeps telling me how she waited a year after HS graduation before she started college - and didn't even finish - but I'm still not comfortable being placed with a group of younger classmates regardless. I don't want to be "redshirted" a whole year. If I miss this whole year I might lose complete motivation to go to college because I'll feel embarassed being a year older than most of my classmates and being the odd one out of most of the people who graduated at my school. Even if no one else makes fun of me for being older I still feel uncomfortable being older than the average college freshman.

I also feel very bored because since I graduated this spring I've been sitting up in my house with barely anything productive to do, day in and day out, for 7+ consecutive months.