View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: addiction to scab picking - December 22nd 2015, 03:50 AM

The above posters offered great advice so I don't have much to add but I do hope I can help some.

When you've been in a habit for that many years, it can be incredibly hard to break that habit but I do believe it's possible. Quitting all at once will be incredibly difficult after all this time, but can you slowly resist urges to pick at your scabs? You can take it step by step by not quitting altogether but lessening how many scabs you pick at. Even just resisting one urge will contribute, then try to make it through the next one. It'll take time but you can beat this.

You mentioned that you experience anxiety if you don't pick your scabs and I was wondering - can you identify the root of your anxiety? Tackling the cause at hand may help you tackle the issue of needing to pick at your scabs. Is it possible for you to see a therapist? That may be beneficial for you.

Are you able to cover up the scabs? Covering them with band-aids and treating them with antibiotic ointment will help them heal faster and hopefully reduce the urge to pick at them since you won't be able to feel or see them.

In public places and at school when you have to excuse yourself, is it possible to have an inner-debate? Try convincing yourself not to excuse yourself because you don't deserve to be hurting yourself, and that giving in will only feed the addiction. Having distractions such as a bracelet or wristband to fidget with, doodling at school during breaks, or chewing gum may help you focus on something other until the urge passes and also refocus your thoughts on something other than your anxiety.

Referring to alternatives on the list that Cassado linked you to may be helpful. Try out some of those things when you feel like picking at scabs or self-harming to create wounds that scab. Speaking of, one alternative in particular may help replace the sensation of picking at scabs, which is putting PVA/Elmer's glue on your hands then peeling it off. That may provide a similar sensation.

Lastly, well done for reaching out. I hope this helped, and I wish you the best of luck. You can beat this addiction so don't give up.