(#1 (permalink)) Old
frnkiero Offline
Frank Anthony Iero
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kinsey!

Points: 4,681, Level: 10 Points: 4,681, Level: 10 Points: 4,681, Level: 10

Career Choice/High School Application Struggles - January 28th 2016, 11:50 PM

So, this has been freaking me out.

I have to apply for my choice high school in less than a year. It sounds like I have a lot of time, but in reality, I don't at all. This school is a school for the arts. They are very tedious about who they accept.

My family, teachers, and basically everyone I know wants me to audition for creative writing. To audition for that, you need to submit at least 20 pages of your own writing. I have about one page done, and it takes me a long time to write. I am an excellent writer, and I have a few published poems. The thing is, I am not passionate about writing. I would hate to be a full time author. And with this school, a lot of their focus is making your major your full time career.

What I am passionate about is guitar, and music. I love playing guitar and writing songs, and I am in a band. (My parents don't know I'm in a band. I plan on telling them when I get a drummer, so we can actually start making music.) Obviously, I want to audition with guitar. I want to pursue guitar and music for the rest of my life. I would not mind having a creative writing elective, but it's definitely not for me career and major wise.

I fear telling my parents about my passion for music and auditioning for guitar, because quite frankly, if I did, I would disappoint my teachers, my parents, my grandparents, my friends, my friends' parents, pretty much everyone I've come into contact with. They all brag about how I am going to win so many awards and become a best-selling author soon, but it makes me feel so guilty. I would hate to let them down, but I would also hate to become an author.

This has been giving me an insane amount of stress, and I would love to know if any of you have any advice. It would be greatly appreciated.