View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Goal: To Travel Somewhere in Europe - January 29th 2016, 07:41 PM

My parents and I went to Italy in 2007, my mom booked the whole trip with a travel agency that offered her several Italy vacation options. We had the ten day guided tour of Rome, Florence, and Venice. We had several options as to what to do, we could be independent throughout the day and meet up with the group at the hotel in the evening or spend the day with the group. In Rome, we had a bus tour and we could get off at different stops, and there was a designated time to meet back on the bus to return to the hotel. In Florence, one day there was the option to visit the vineyard or tour the city. We chose the tour of the vineyard in S.G. (can't spell it) which is a region in Tuscany, I believe. In Venice, we were more free-for-all, at least me and my parents were. We hung out with this woman we met in Florence on the tour, but she had been sick the whole time. Anyways, we went up that river (can't spell it), went to one of the islands where they made glass, touristy things like that. We had a party on the ninth night, everyone who remained since Rome.

There were people who went to Rome, and then off to another section of Italy. Then those that went to Rome, and Florence, and then ventured further northwest towards France. About seven or eight of us stayed with the original guide from Rome to Florence. OF course, we had to choose how to get home... all of us were from the United States, but different sections.

As for flying, we had to connect in London both ways. I don't know if there would be a direct flight from Toronto to wherever you choose to go, but remember... it is a long flight. Choose wisely according to the length and your plans. You may go overnight, leave Toronto at 2 PM EDT and arrive in, say, Berlin, at 6 AM CET the next day. That's about a ten hour flight, but you'd basically be staying awake about forty hours. I can't sleep on the plane, so I was so disoriented that first night in Rome. But you may be able to sleep on the plane. Bring whatever makes you comfortable and relaxed.

I definitely suggest looking into travel agencies, like my mum did when we went to Italy back in 2007. It was definitely helpful, and maybe they can give you package deals. Tour guides can be helpful, but then there's the disadvantage of not being able to see a specific landmark because it isn't a stop the guide is making.