Thread: Social Work?
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Social Work? - March 1st 2016, 02:27 AM

Have you worked at a social service agency in the past? I think shadowing a social worker can help you decide. I say this because I'm taking a course called intro to social work profession and I can detail you on things through VM or PM but in short, a large percentage is focused on experience. At any rate, something my professor had said was that social work school is 95% learning about yourself. There's a huge emphasis on self care and managing things to avoid burnout. I also know that people who go into the helping profession are like "wounded healers" this term was used to describe a shaman in indigenous cultures but I think it applies to social workers and anyone doing people's work. In that way, there are people who start out being a client and later decide to be a social worker.

I think if this is something you want to do, to give it a shot and apply. If that doesn't work out, you have options. And if you do get into the program, theoretically there should be support services for the social workers in training
Are you worried about the education and training involved only? Or are you worried about the work conditions? Either way, you'll learn as you go. And there are a variety of options in social work. Not all is extremely stressful. That would be a misconception