View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: dealing with anxiety in a negative environment? - March 15th 2016, 02:42 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, I can't imagine how all of you are feeling right now. I've never had anyone in my immediate family have cancer, but I do have a disabled sibling and I think the best thing you can do is be there for her and provide a sense of normalcy if you know what I mean. I noticed my sibling likes things to be as normal as they can be and I try to help with that. If you're in doubt, you can always ask your sister if there's anything you can do as well. Remember to take care of yourself too though.

It must be tough to cope with how your dad treats you. It's understandable of him to be upset, but that's no excuse for him to take his feelings out on you. I think you're doing the right thing by staying away from him and engaging in conversation as little as possible. People who mistreat others thrive when people are around, and since you're trying to make it harder for him to say things that could be frustrating him even more. Keep trying to avoid him when you can, and maybe consider making a safe place for yourself as well so you have a place for yourself through all of this. Here's an article on it.

Anger can be really hard to cope with sometimes and that tends to make it worse. One thing you can do that might help is write a letter as though you're writing it to your dad. You don't have to worry about being polite since you're not giving it to him. Just get everything out of your system and then find a way to destroy it. Try not to read over it again because that can spark your anger. But rip the paper, soak it in water and watch the ink run, scribble all over it, or light it on fire. Destroying it can be therapeutic. I think you could benefit from having a safe place to express your feelings, so maybe you can consider using a journal or blogging to see if that helps.

I was struggling with anger recently and asked people on here for suggestions and they gave me some good ideas. One of those was to make something, like a tower out of blocks or a house of cards, and then knock it down. You could get some clay to stretch and rip it to see if that helps, or rip some paper to see how small you can get the pieces. Another thing you can do, is get some balloons and find different ways to pop them.

Something I like to do when I'm upset or anxious is bake because it's a good distraction. Maybe you can bake something for your mom or your sister (if she's able to eat with the treatment she's getting). You could focus on doing other things for your sister too, like getting her some novels or coloring books to busy herself with in the hospital. Doing something nice for her could provide a good distraction.

I mentioned creating a safe place before, and that can help with anxiety. Maybe you can do some research on some breathing exercises. Breathing has a lot to do with anxiety and if you can remind yourself to focus on it more or pay more attention to any changes, it will help. You could look into some coloring books or word searches as those are calming as well.

I hope you're able to find some things that help you with everything you're feeling.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers