View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Should I have told someone that my cousin was raped? - March 16th 2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maramandan View Post
no need to tell anyone. that will spoil her future. Go for a pregnancy test and take the steps for abortion if she is pregnant.
Telling someone will not spoil her future. In fact, keeping it inside will end up causing more harm than telling someone will. When you keep traumatic events inside, they eventually resurface later in life and it is harder to deal with them by that point. Keeping it inside will actually cause it to slowly eat at you, and it eventually makes your personality deteriorate until there's nothing left of you. That is something I learned in therapy. Telling someone can be hard and it brings up a lot of emotion, but at the end of the day it is the right thing to do. Working through it or at least getting it out of her system will benefit her future because it won't eat away at her like it would if she didn't tell anyone.

I know you said she isn't sure who the father is, and that makes it tougher on her. She should take a look at different options and decide what is best for her child and for herself. He shouldn't pressure her into an abortion if that is not what she wants to do. I don't blame her for wanting nothing to do with him. It will be harder to heal when she's still connected to the person who harmed her, and I think the best thing she can do is cut all contact with him.

Although she is hiding her experiences right now, maybe you can be there to support her through other life events. She might eventually decide that she is ready to talk about it, or she might not.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers