Thread: Triggering (ED): Disordered eating due to depression
View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Synęsthesia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elsa

Points: 4,796, Level: 10 Points: 4,796, Level: 10 Points: 4,796, Level: 10

Disordered eating due to depression - March 29th 2016, 05:02 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't have an eating disorder, which is why I'm posting this in the general health section. It's just that when I get really depressed I don't eat much. I just get disgusted at the idea of food and I can't make myself eat. I've been eating maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the daily calories I should be eating, and it's a struggle to get myself to eat even that much.

I don't have a scale, so I'm not sure how much weight I've lost, but I seem to have gone down a pants size or two. I usually feel hungry & lightheaded and I usually tune it out. It's not that I'm trying to lose weight, it's just that I just don't want to eat. I try to buy lots of different types of food so maybe something will appeal to me, but once I find a food that I like enough to want to eat, I'll get sick of it pretty quickly.

My hope is that when my depression (eventually) clears up the whole food issue will resolve itself. I just want to know how dangerous it is to be eating so little.

How long can I live on this kind of 'starvation diet' before I start to have medical issues?

I was once close friends with an anorexic girl, so I know that disordered eating can be dangerous and have a huge number of nasty effects on your body. I don't want to forever screw up my metabolism or end up in the hospital with heart problems... I just don't know how dangerous my particular brand of disordered eating is.

I've been eating very little for the past two months. I'm just wondering how much longer I can keep this up before my body starts to give out on me.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get oneself to eat when food is so unappetizing? Sometimes it gets so bad that the act of eating feels like I'm assaulting my taste buds with flavor. I hate it.