Thread: Triggering (SH): Teacher Knows and Is Telling Parents!?
View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Wingardium27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Siobhan

Points: 4,960, Level: 10 Points: 4,960, Level: 10 Points: 4,960, Level: 10

Re: Teacher Knows and Is Telling Parents!? - April 10th 2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Hey

I'm sorry you are going through all this at the moment. I hope we can help in some way.

My friend once went to my math teacher in tears about me because of suicidal thoughts and the self harming. I was pretty terrified so I can certainly relate to that. Like you, they contacted the pastoral support officer and held a meeting at school with two teachers, the school counselor and my mum. So she found out, everything.

Mum finding out was hard because she also had her own issues and had self harmed before. But even though at first my parents finding out was pretty hard and scary and things were a bit awkward, its definitely helped my mum to support me. Not so much my dad although he tries. But having my mums support has been wonderful at times, annoying at others but I am thankful for her and we're closer than ever.

I know this is all scary but maybe it will help to have some help put in place; that doesn't mean you have to stop self harming now, but it means you might have someone to talk to about all of this which could be really beneficial for you. Scary but helpful.

If you need anything, feel free to message me.

Hopes and wishes,
Jessie
Hey

Thanks for all the support - everyone here has been wonderful so far in helping me out.

Wow, your situation sounds so similar to mine! My friend was also apparently in tears when she told the teacher because she knew about the self harm (saw me cut myself a couple of times) and thought I might be suicidal (even though I'm not). My mum is in school on Monday (she works there as an exam invigilator) so it might be a face-to-face meeting instead of a phone call. It just keeps getting better and better (sarcasm).

My mum had depression after I was born, although she has never self harmed or been assaulted. My dad thinks it's all in my head and I need to pull myself together and get over it. He also thinks I should've miraculously 'gotten over it' by now because it's been over two months since the assault happened. So my mum is definitely more supportive than my dad, even if none of us are particularly close.

I'm hoping you're right - maybe it just has to get worse before it can get better.

Thanks - feel free to message me if you need anything as well :

Siobhan