View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

messaging anxiety? - April 24th 2016, 08:38 AM

so sometimes, when i send an email or PM/VM to people (not just on this site, but everywhere else too) and i see that they've replied (just by seeing the "1 new message" in the inbox icon or something; not by actually CLICKING on the message, oh god no..) i get this HUGE wave of nervousness and worried feeling.

i never open the message immediately, and usually don't open it until hours or even days later, after i've imagined and processed what it might say in my mind for all that time.

i know i could simply click on the message, and not have to worry about "oh, maybe i was too blunt and straightforward in my last message. maybe he didn't like that, and now he's going to call our whole new relationship off."
then i get stressed about that made-up scenario, work through how i would respond to and deal with that, and then move on to the next thing that could happen.

this is hella weird for me, because i'm usually a very spontaneous, carefree person. i usually don't give a rats ass about what people think of me. i'll say the stupidest things at a volume that is borderline obnoxious, and its gotten me in trouble more than once.

i should probably mention that i USUALLY only get this anxious feeling when i've messaged/texted someone when...
A. i have feelings for them/want to make a good impression
B. i don't know them very well
C. when i said something risky in my last message and am worried about their response/what they'll think of me

anyone else experience this?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you