View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Steve M. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,214, Level: 9 Points: 4,214, Level: 9 Points: 4,214, Level: 9

Re: Possible Religious Breakup With Parents - April 24th 2016, 05:36 PM

For adults, there would be no question that I would always recommend complete openness and honesty on the subject. It is a little different for those still under the jurisdiction of their parents. Suggesting that a young person be dishonest and / or not forthcoming with their parents is a troubling thing, but it is sometimes justified.

Only you truly know your parents and only you can predict the measure of their reaction. Obviously, if their reaction would be extreme (or there is even a chance that it would be extreme) and would make your life miserable, then don't do it. This is probably not a life and death issue for you. You can probably afford to wait till you are an adult and out from under your parents before letting them know your beliefs. Still in doubt? Do a simple cost / benefit analysis. On a piece of paper, write down all the benefits that you would get from telling them, and then list all the costs / bad results that would come from doing it. Compare the two.

Too often, parents are trapped in the management paradigm, thinking of control, efficiency, and rules instead of direction, purpose, and family feeling. I am sorry to say that every parent I've ever known was deeply scripted in the control paradigm, and although they would never admit it or discuss it, any condition that lessened their control of their children would be dealt with sharply and harshly. I am of course not saying that ALL parents everywhere are like that; such is just my experience.