View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Has anyone taken Physical Geology in College or equivalent (how did you study)? - June 30th 2016, 09:02 PM

Hey everyone,

Soooo, I made a little bit of a mistake this Summer. I decided to take a difficult course pertaining to my major (a proof-based math course), and I needed one additional class to be 'full-time' and not lose money, so I decided to take Physical Geology. I assumed this class would be interesting, and an easy 'A'. Turns out, I was wrong.

The material in this class is conceptually REALLY easy, however, it's so DENSE. There is SOME overlap in concepts from physics and chemistry, so it's not bad in that area, but some of the nitty gritty details are just ridiculous (i.e. remembering various rock clast sizes etc.). Currently, I am using note cards, but finding this is really inefficient. To give an example of how dense a lecture is, I go through about a stack of 100 note cards per lecture. He gives out "reviews" which are basically summaries of the lecture. These reviews are SHEER information and typically around 18-20 pages.

Any suggestions on how to study all this information?

While this class is fascinating, I am regretting it. It definitely doesn't fall into the 'rocks for jocks' category that everyone made geology seem to be.

Anyways... back to my cave.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan