View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: "My Bullied Son's Last Day on Earth" - April 25th 2009, 06:49 AM

Your analogy with the marbles is flawed, as when someone is bullied, they always have a choice and suicide isn't after the first bullying incident.

Forcing parents and police to take the complaint seriously would involve the police being overwhelmed with bullying reports, more than they already are. This makes it a greater priority, which it really isn't compared to other crimes. The police would be out-staffed, the teachers would be spending too much time on bullying (having to deal with parents and police every time), and do you think that the adults would not suffer, especially the police and teachers emotionally and psychologically? You may have good intentions, however, you've disregarded the effect on adults, which could lead to worse parenting, more stressed adults, etc... . As a result, kids may be treated worse and bullying rates may increase.

When it results in suicide, I put a good amount of blame on the victim. They chose what to do, the bullies didn't help them in committing suicide, the victim consciously chose to commit suicide. If you want to have the bully charged, then prove their motive and their intentions. If the bully is unaware that suicide may result, then proving their intentions for suicide of the victim will be difficult and would fail.

Encouraging parents and police to be responsible for dealing with the situation puts less responsibility on the victim and teaches them, if there's a problem, run to someone for them to fix it. However, to charge the bullies, you need to lower the criminal age.

Suppose you did manage to do this, what is the sentence for them? How do you make it a "fair" sentence? If a person does commit suicide, then you'd have to, using your logic, blame the bully. What if one kid was bullied for 10 years then killed themselves, while another was bullied for 1 month, and both had the same type, same severity of bullying. Is the bully who bullied for 1 month going to get a sentence that a bully for 10 years would get or vice-verca?

Denying them the ability to get a driver's license seems random. I don't understand the logic behind that, as it seems to be a random punishment. If they're not drinking, not doing drugs, then why consider this?

Your whole point is flawed, in that the bullies too are victims. However, you refuse to show any sympathy for what they went through. Many bullies and the victims have hormones going wild, so to put a bully in jail at this age implies that the hormonal behavior is bad even if it's beyond their control. This doesn't address the root of the problem but rather just removing the problem and of course, you didn't mention any possible therapy for the victim either, which shows to me, you really don't care why they bully, you just want the bullies gone.

If you do this, then you're not solving the problem in the long-run. Whatever made them bully hasn't been dealt with, if they themselves were being abused by, say, parents, then who cares, toss them in jail.

All of this seems to be you speaking from your emotions, not objectively, not logically. So, relax, think it through then come back.