Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Girlfriend got pregnant despite condoms? - July 11th 2016, 05:24 PM

Hey Jordi,

You can't tell if she's pregnant just because of one day of sickness. How long ago were you two sexually active? You can encourage her to take a pregnancy test if it was two or more weeks ago.

In perfect use, condoms are INCREDIBLY effective. However, they have a high failure rate by people not using them correctly. Inn typical use, condoms are 80% effective. That means after one year of using condoms as a primary birth control method, 20% of users end up pregnant. This is high.

There are a few solutions for this if pregnancy is something that you two cannot handle at this time. One, make sure you're using your condoms very effectively. This means making sure you're using the correct size, putting it on and removing it correctly, using adequate amounts of lube that are condom compatible, and keeping it on the whole time. The second solution would be combining your condom use and encouraging your girlfriend to get on a more effective birth control method. She can explore some of these methods here. Last, you can choose to engage in activities without a pregnancy risk. Perhaps keeping to oral or manual sex instead of vaginal sex can be a solution so you two can avoid pregnancy until you are ready. While we were in high school, my partner and I only had sex a few time for this reason, and for most of our relationship we've combined methods or used a LARC (long acting reversible contraceptive) for this reason).

I'd recommend you have her take a test and have a conversation about your relationship and pregnancy to make sure you're making choices that fit your needs at this time. Good luck! (PS: You cannot delete a post on request, but I can close this thread for you once you receive the answers you need. )

something burning?