View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 38,245, Level: 28 Points: 38,245, Level: 28 Points: 38,245, Level: 28

Re: "My Bullied Son's Last Day on Earth" - April 25th 2009, 09:50 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

The sad thing is.... I have been listening to ALL of the exact same arguments SINCE the mid 1970's. The bottom line of [almost] all of your ideas [Including yours Jack] can be summed up in two words.

DO NOTHING!!

And when it comes to what YOU said YourNightMare - the person that matters the LEAST [to you] is the VICTIM. You have great compassion for the ADULTS and for the bully. And you certainly don't want to inconvenience the police. Oh no. We don't want to burden public servants with the responsibility of serving the public. But nothing you said would suggest to me that you have ANY compassion for the victim. In fact - it would seem [to me - at least] that you could care less about the victim. And you try to defend that position by letting it be known just how 'logical' you are. Sadly - you're not alone. It's because the world is full of people who think like you - victims will ALWAYS be last on the list of who 'we' should take care of.

As for the argument that 'bullies are victims too' - I agree. But so what? They can be helped AFTER they have been arrested and/or charged and/or held accountable - legally - in some way. Besides - haven't most criminals been victims of one thing or another?!

I think it's time we redirected our compassion. And instead of always running to the defense of those causing so much harm - we need to focus more on those who are BEING harmed. I know that's a scary thought. In fact - it's human to want to distance ourselves from victims. Victims are targets. And few of us want to be THAT close to any target because we fear that if we get too close - we might become a target too. But we have to fight that fear and do what's RIGHT. And the right thing to do is to side WITH the victim. This may come as a shock to some of you - but the abusers of the world are NOT more important than the victims of their abuse.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!