View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,935, Level: 26 Points: 33,935, Level: 26 Points: 33,935, Level: 26

Re: Grad School and Low GPA - August 1st 2016, 05:56 AM

Hey Christina,

Good GRE scores can compensate for a lowish GPA, but only to a point. So, if you want to get in with below a 3.0, you'll have to take it, then it's a matter of how well you do. If you can, I would calculate your last 60 credit GPA and see where you stand. If that's better, focus on programs that place more importance on that rather than the whole thing. If you have relevant work or volunteer experience, that can also help.

An explanation of your reasons for it being low could go either way. It could prove that you can work through less than ideal life circumstances and did the best you could considering, or it could backfire if they see it as you making excuses. That also depends on your transcript. If you had one or two bad classes or semesters that dropped it, that looks a lot better than having a low GPA for years on end. I'm not saying it's not an option, but it's a risky one. If you do decide to explain your reasons, include how or why things would be different. For example: the circumstance has passed, you've learned to cope with it by doing XYZ, or if it's a long term issue, how you would manage it (take advantage of student services, etc.) Be careful not to get too personal though, they don't want or need to know your life story, they're trying to decide whether you'd succeed in their program and later, the profession based on all the application materials.

Post-Bac classes would be an option for you also. One of my friends did that when she had a low GPA. Life happened and then she realized she had almost no chance at grad school because of it. You probably wouldn't have to take a lot, but enough to prove that you're capable. I don't know how they work though, having never done this.

Good Luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte