View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Listelacruz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

Points: 6,185, Level: 11 Points: 6,185, Level: 11 Points: 6,185, Level: 11

Severe anxiety while driving - August 9th 2016, 12:25 AM

I'm 19 and still yet to get my license even though I have had time and opportunity simply because I end up in basically a panic attack whenever I drive. It makes me stop too quickly, accelerate excessively, turn too sharply etc.

I can do literally nothing else while driving - not even navigate. I will drive past every turn I need to make because I have to hyperfocus on the driving itself, and I have to be reminded by whoever is with me that I need to make a turn.

It's crippling. I need to drive to work but I can't get over myself, I also need to get a car but can't really afford one (I have been searching for used ones but within my very limited budget I haven't been able to find a car that seems dependable in any way. If I managed to get my license and a car, and the car broke down on me, I would guaranteed lose my job, my savings, and have nothing to fall back on).

Stress build up has been making it worse. Sometimes when I am driving I tend to start thinking about gunning it into oncoming traffic because I can't bear my own life. Then I trance in that thought for a moment, then snap back to reality when whoever I am with tells me either to slow down, speed up, stay in my lane or that I missed my turn.

I have never taken depressive or anxiety medication in my life because I have always been against the idea of medication making me "not me" but I've come to realise that "me" can't handle himself and that maybe I do seeiously need medication.

So I guess more or less I want to know if medication might help me or if I have other options.