divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: Medication causes excessive tiredness. - October 11th 2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
Having your medication decreased and feeling tired from it could actually be a symptom of withdrawal, and not of the medications expected response. It's not a full withdrawal cause you still take it but lowering the dosage means your body/ brain isn't getting what it's used to.

That's my first thought about why your experiencing being tired again. I think it is important to talk to a physician any how. Perhaps you can call your psychiatrist and let him/her or their receptionist know tat this is a problem and if they can possibly let your physician know what to do if he/she can't see you any sooner. Hopefully that helps.
I don't think it would be withdrawal symptoms. I've been on this dose consistently for quite a few months now. I'm just now starting to get fed up with always being tired and needing to sleep often and never really getting a restful sleep regardless of duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
To OP: Did you always take the extended release version? Did the pills change at all? Are you sure it is the same brand as before?

Tegretol is notorious for drowsy feeling. You should talk to them and see if they feel like a different medication is more appropriate.
I've been taking the XR form since I started it sometime July 2015. All of 2016 I've received the generic form of the medication from the same pharmacy and manufacturer as well. I take Seroquel XR (for the anti-psychotic benefits) at the same time as the Tegretol, but I've never experienced drowsiness with Seroquel by itself. Tegretol is definitely notorious for the drowsiness. I am also notorious for the majority of psych medications not working as they should or at all. Tegretol was tried after many others, but there's always the option of trying one I haven't or one that I have (that may not have been given enough time/at a high enough dose to work), so I will definitely discuss that when I see my doctor.

I'm thinking I could try taking the Seroquel in the morning and the Tegretol at night to see if it makes a difference. Something to try within the next one to two months while I wait. I'm obviously not a doctor and none of you are, but I was thinking if I were to be prescribed the regular release form instead of XR if the drowsiness would wear off in a reasonable amount of time instead of being an all day drowsy thing? Just a thought. More things to discuss.

Thank you all for your input! It has really given me some things to bring up with my doctor when I talk to her this week (read: leave a message and play phone tag for a couple weeks ).

“Peace is power”