(#2 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: College and Depression - October 30th 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigereyes View Post
I've noticed that since I went to college, my depression and all the issues that go along with it skyrocketed. I was unable to make friends, lost all my friends including my best friend, lived in isolation because I had no roommate, and struggled with classes. Somehow I've gotten through until now (junior year), but every day is still a struggle. I still haven't made any friends; I've just become closer friends with people from my high school who ended up at the same college. I still struggle in "that one class" every semester, which ruins my gpa and causes so much stress that I feel like I'm just surviving day by day a lot of the time. I generally enjoy the classes in my majors, but with biology being one of the majors, I'm also required to take a lot of chemistry and physics, which is what always throws me over the edge. I try to practice guitar and do yoga, which both help a lot, but sometimes it's hard to get myself to do those when I'm completely out of energy from doing just the things I have to do to get by. Can anyone else relate?
God do I relate. 100%. In fact, this weekend I decided that whatever the cost I was going to take 2 days off (Yesterday and Today). It's a mistake, really, but I needed it (I really couldn't afford to take them, but my mental sanity required it).

Anyways, I think the point is, hang in there. Eventually you'll be out of the program, and you won't have to deal with it anymore. Physics is one of those topics that difficult for a lot of people. If I were you, I'd focus on the classes that are pertinent for you to be good at whatever your goal is, and not be consumed with the classes that aren't.

Being a science major, I understand the importance of GPA, but for myself, I'm trying to focus on the fact that I need to learn certain material to be proficient in my field. If I can demonstrate that proficiency, than beyond landing my first job, GPA isn't going to make any difference. So, for me, I focus on just learning the material for myself, and the rest follows.

Hopefully that makes sense. Get through your classes, but learn what you need to learn for your own personal enrichment. I find focusing on GPA, etc. makes college a lot less enjoyable, and takes the focus of learning and on grades. You should be concerned whether you've learned material. Not what letter grade you get. Again, I know it's important. But perhaps taking some emphasis off of it will ease your stress/anxiety/depression. It does help me, when I remember to do so. :P

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan