View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: My internet addiction is ruining my life - November 5th 2016, 03:44 PM

Is the internet your real problem? Or are there other problems in your life, such as having a lot of anxiety about school or the future, domestic abuse problems at home, depression etc., that you use the internet to escape from? I think that that's an important thing to make note of because I think it'll be a big part of how you stop using the internet as an escapism. A lot of us use something (whether it's drugs, food, the internet, etc) to get away from the things that cause us anxiety, depression or other strong negative emotions in life and identifying and addressing those emotions would go a long way to being able to focus on other things.

Maybe you can set small goals like doing your homework in a room without a lap top or cell phone for 30 minutes. You can set a timer on your phone in the other room and when it goes off, you're allowed to go check your phone. I understand that it's basically impossible to turn the internet off for a lot of ohmework these days - so much homework is on the computer and at that point it's basically a matter of self-restraint to not click on the internet. But you can practice it with homework that doesn't involve a computer, like you can read the novel you have to read for your literature class or something like that.

You can also try doing things that don't involve the internet - like go for a 30 minute walk everyday and leave your phone at home.

It'll probably be hard and you can start small with 30 minute increments while you also try to address the things that are causing you to use the Internet as an escape method

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions