View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 7th 2016, 01:12 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, but using the phrase "straight pride" can make LGBT+ people upset because of how much they had to fight for their pride. Accepting your identity as an LGBT+ person is often really, really hard, let alone reaching a point where you can be proud if it. Queer pride is such a new thing, and there are plenty of people still alive who grew up in a world where you would never, ever say anything about being queer and live in the closet instead (and there still are people who live like that). Like the people above said, LGBT+ people have struggled a lot to be able to be proud, and taking that back and turning it into "straight pride" can feel trivializing.

As for "it's such a crime to be straight and it's all golden glory if you are gay/lesbian/bi" – it might look that way, but I can promise you that it's not. We still have virtually no media representation, we still have people arguing about whether or not we can get married, we still can legally be discriminated against for our identities, we still have people being murdered just for being LGBT+ (Pulse nightclub in Orlando last Spring, for example). And this is all in the US, which is relatively progressive on this. When people celebrate and bring attention to LGBT+ people that come out, they're lifting up a group of people that has constantly been oppressed.

All that said, people shouldn't be rude to you because you're straight. I'm sorry if that's really happening. Your orientation obviously isn't something you can control, and any anger or hate you experience is definitely misdirected. Like Katie said, it might just be your wording or how your views come off.

I hope that helped! Feel free to message me if you have any questions or ever just want to chat

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!