View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mismatched Socks Offline
On hiatus
Average Joe

Points: 7,694, Level: 12 Points: 7,694, Level: 12 Points: 7,694, Level: 12

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 7th 2016, 06:40 PM

Firstly, I hope my post does not come across as offensive to anyone. That is not my intention. I'm not very good at wording things so feel free to ask for clarification. ^^
I agree completely with what the users above me have said, there is nothing wrong with embracing your sexuality. No one should shame you for it as it is not a choice, just like being gay or another sexuality isn't a choice. While it is good that you are happy with who you are, I can see why LGBT+ people may feel uncomfortable with the term "straight pride" especially as I have seen homophobes using it as a way to insult the LGBT+ community, so many people associate the phrase with homophobia even when it is not used in that way, at least that is how I understand it. Maybe it would be best not to say "straight pride" around LGBT+ people, I can't see why it would be necessary to announce anyway, and I say this as a straight (heteroromantic asexual) person myself. If the subject is brought up, just be clear about what you say to avoid any misunderstandings. For example, this is how I would word it: "I am comfortable with my sexuality and I am not ashamed to admit it, just as you shouldn't be ashamed of your sexuality" or simply "I am straight, but I don't have anything against LGBT+ people."
Of course, you're not going to please everybody. If people are still criticising you, then they aren't worth your time. Just ignore them and move on.

On hiatus
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!