View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 10th 2016, 07:29 PM

I agree a lot with everyone else. Of course, if people are being rude to you because you're straight, then that's just not ok. It's ok to be comfortable with who you are and no one should get to tell you otherwise. But (and it's a big one) people might be taking offense to your attitude / approach to / statements surrounding being comfortable / proud of who you are.

Statement like "straight pride" are actually really offensive because a lot of people who are in the LGBTQ+ community have had to fight really hard for their rights and for the ability to be proud of who they are. This is something a straight person will never have to do because being straight is the "default" and we live in a very heteronormative society where it's "easy" to be straight while other people in the LGBTQ+ community are still fighting for their rights here and in other parts of the world. So, with that said, it just comes off as really inconsiderate if you think that "straight pride" is something to celebrate because it's not; socially speaking, there's nothing to celebrate by conforming to what's (sadly) considered the default by a lot of people. And while I say this, bear in mind that you're obviously not making a conscious choice to "conform", you're just straight and that's that. And also bear in mind that you are totally in your right to be comfortable and secure as who you are and should be able to be "proud" of that and it's not ok for anyone to pick out your qualities (e.g. your "straightness") and be rude about it.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!