View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Friend's parents - December 1st 2016, 11:46 PM

I work with teens who have lost loved ones and sometimes a teen comes in who has lost a parent. They are usually pretty angry and don't want to be there but something I see is that they just want someone they can talk to and be a kid again. Your friend is going to have good days and bad days. When they are having a bad day they probably won't want to do a lot but they might want to talk and you can be there to listen. You can't take their pain away but you can give them support and it's possible you might be able to come up with ideas to distract them.

Something else you can do is look into grief groups for teens and see if there are any. I think grief groups are amazing but most places don't offer that for teens and children. I think there are only a handful of them in the USA but I think it helps the teens to have someone who can relate to their struggle. I realize you aren't in the US so there might or might not be more groups where you are but a quick google search can help. If you find something I would suggest giving the information to your friend a while after the loss. I know in the support group that I do they ask the parents of the kids to wait at least three months after the loss to get involved.

Anyway, I hope this helped.