View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: school depression. - February 4th 2017, 09:54 PM

Hi, Frankie!

It's great that you've started going to school again. I'm proud of you for taking that step but I'm sorry you've been dealing with panic attacks and dissociation in class and afterwards. Your mental health is important, and I know school is important to you as well. So I think it's great to find some middle ground. You still go to school, but you're utilizing your support sources by talking to Britney and allowing her to help you; that's great and you shouldn't feel like a failure for doing so. I know feelings will be feelings, and it's hard to ignore them but that's why I want to reassure you that you're not a failure. I see you as quite strong for both going to school and reaching out for help in the midst of your struggles.

Bringing your service dog to school should help a lot. I'm glad you're going to give that a try. Will you let us know how it goes? I was wondering if you had any grounding methods you could resort to in school when you are experiencing dissociation? You could chew gum, keep perfume on you and spray it, touch a rough bracelet you're wearing etc. Using taste, smell and touch could be an effective way to ground yourself and stay present. Some people find it helpful to speak truths to stay in the present. I understand if you don't want to verbally make statements outloud in the middle of class, but if you feel yourself dissociating you could keep a piece of scrap paper handy and write down things about your life to stay in touch with yourself. Such as writing your age, where you live, where you are and so on. I'm not sure if it'd work but it'd be worth a try.

I hope things improve for you, Frankie. You seem like a strong person so I believe you can do this. Don't hesitate to reach out here anytime!